The biggest lie we all heard as a kid. . .
“It’ll only be a minute”
mom says as she walks into the grocery store.
We placed all our hopes and dreams into “yes, it WILL only be a minute” and as the cart continues winding down the aisles that hope fades thin with each item placed higher and higher on the mountain of groceries accumulating in the cart.
-----
-----
Countless times in our lives we are faced with lies. What’s sad is that too much of the time, at least for myself, I know we buy into them. Sometimes we know when things are really phony, but more often than not, the world is a tricky place and we buy into things with empty promises.
Mighty kids meals ARE super nutritious
That appliance WILL make my house nicer
The color on the box DEFINITELY will make my hair turn out like that
This lens WILL make you a better photographer
So much of life, no matter what stage your in, is navigating through these lies and empty promises. But the tricky thing is that life spends so much time piling promise after promise into our lives, that not before long, our time is divided amongst these false gods. Promising us so much, that truly they wont deliver on, solely to keep our focus on them.
ED promised me so much.
Body Acceptance
Happiness
Finally feeling good in my own skin
With these false promises, there will never attain enough.
--It was never that I wanted to keep going.
It just kept happening. Once the number dropped, that was the norm for me, anything else wasn’t acceptable for ED. It promised that once X happened, I would gain the happiness I desired. But it was never enough to gain that happiness.
And a few weeks ago, I was hit over the head with an enormous amount of truth.
Anything that takes the #1 spot away from God is a false God
That’s what the world wants from us. To keep putting in effort after effort into these false promises, so that we can never be fully invested into the promise that God’s made for us.
1 Kings 18:19-21 ---Elijah says to stop wavering. Quit interchanging Gods. Using a false when God doesn’t meet your needs and vise versa.
I never wanted God to come in only when ED wasn’t meeting my needs, and for ED to come in when God seemed to be gone.
But that’s what happened.
I would pray and pray as hard as I thought I could, take this from me, but there I was. Stuck.
There needs to be a shift.
My God needs to be 100% in my heart, what possible transformation could happen when my heart is torn between two Gods. two promises?
Wherever you are, I hope this doesn’t sound too “rant-y” but so much still had to change in my head and heart in order for me to move on. I spent so much of my time just stuck, living and feeding into things that just weren’t true.
And deep down I always knew what was happening. But it became so much of my daily life that it didn’t feel false anymore, it just felt normal.
I was thankful for being reminded of this. Reminding me to be mindful of where I’m putting my time and my energy.
And it’s still hard.
It takes time.
I still have bad days where I sit and buy into everything ED wants to put in my head because it knows that everything I’m doing now is counter productive to what it wants.
But there are so many more good days. Days where I can challenge those empty promises. Where I know that’s not what is true or good, and can move on from them. So may things like this never go away, but you learn how to experience differently the false promises that come into our lives?
And it's crazy too look back, even just a few weeks.
![]() |
| This is was last Sunday :) |
It's weird noticing how things are changing. I can't tell because I live myself all the time. But now that I've been working on refocusing, it's making huge differences
I don’t know. haha wild stuff happening in my mind today!
Anyway. Stay warm!! It’s super windy and gloomy here today, making me extra introspective. Hoping everyone else out there is much cozier than myself!
--What’s your weather like?
--How do you tell apart what’s real and what isn’t?





love your introspection and you! kyle idleman's "Gods at War" is a great one that ties into this.
ReplyDeleteOooo I want to check this out now :) I love ya too friend! and miss you
ReplyDeleteyour hair looks perffffffffff
ReplyDeletethanks!! my sister in law just did it for me not too long ago, I really like it!
Deletei love this, i just recently wrote an essay on false idols before God and i wish i had resd this before writing it, but it coensides really well with my research. I'm glad to hear that youre doing well!
ReplyDeletethanks Bailey! hope your doing well and that school is going good!! I'd love to read your essay :) that sounds really cool!
Delete